Gooooooood morning, Internet!!! Hey, this is not a test, this is a tech roundup. Time to rock it from the Delta to the DMZ.
AI, bots and robots
- Learning how to ride a bike
- General and Scalable Parallelization for Neural Networks
- Researchers identify characteristics of memory-sensitive neurons
- More Efficient In-Context Learning with GLaM
- Managed by Bots: surveillance of gig economy workers
- The ‘Invisible’, Often Unhappy Workforce That’s Deciding the Future of AI
- Spiking Neural Networks
- Research Notes on Humanoid Robots
- Stanford Accelerated Intelligent Neuromodulation Therapy for Depression
- Steerable discovery of neural audio effects
- Google Sues Glupteba botnet
- What Does It Mean for AI to Understand?
- Using AI to Animate Children’s Drawings
- From blood clots to infected neurons, how Covid threatens the brain
Blockchain and decentralization
- Coinbase founder co-founds longevity company
- Dive into Ethereum signatures with Raku language
The Ethereum blockchain is essentially a transaction-based state machine. We begin with a blank state, before any transactions have happened on the network, and move into some final state when tran…
- Ouroboros: Distributed System for Packetized Network Communications
- Bitcoin could become ‘worthless’, Bank of England warns
- Distributed SQLite for Rust
- Cryptocurrency scams cost owners $7.7B in 2021, driven by DeFi-based “rug pulls”
This blog is a preview of our 2022 Crypto Crime Report. Sign up here to reserve your copy and we’ll email you the full report when
- What is a Bitcoin worth?
Woman computer scientist of the week
Cloud and architecture
- What can you do with an ISA specification?
- The battle of the computing clouds is intensifying
Insurgents take on AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform
- Wolfram Cloud
- $150B lawsuit over genocide may force Facebook to confront its dark side
- Cloudflare Experiencing Latency Issues
- Refugees lack Covid shots because drugmakers fear lawsuits, documents show
- AWS Tools Suck
Development and languages
- The vagaries of 1990s 32-bit Windows networking
- The Lost Digital Poems (and Erotica) of William H. Dickey
- Win-Vind: Become an instant ninja in operating Windows at the speed of thought
You can operate Windows with key bindings like Vim. – GitHub – pit-ray/win-vind: You can operate Windows with key bindings like Vim.
- Predict civilization collapse with Python and World3 model
The World3 model revisited in Python. Contribute to cvanwynsberghe/pyworld3 development by creating an account on GitHub.
- GitHub taking down tools allowing defenders to reproduce the Log4j vulnerability
- Western Digital HDD boss mentions archive disk drive idea
- Digital Painting with Real Brushes: Light Strokes for iPad
- JWEB (a modern implementation of the CWEB Literate Programming system)
- Gitlab Epic Issue Relationships Deleted
- FastWSGI, an ultra-fast WSGI server for Python
- Clojure Macros and Metaprogramming
- TypeScript for Pythonistas
- A brief history of code search at GitHub
- A terminal multiplexer with full gesture support built on WebRTC
- Windows 11 Officially Shuts Down Firefox’s Default Browser Workaround
- Tqdm (Python)
- Polars: Lightning-fast DataFrame library for Rust and Python
- Design evolution of the Windows control panel
A comprehensive visual history of Microsoft Windows Control Panels from 1985 to 2021. See a gallery of the Microsoft Windows Control Panels evolution from the beginning to present day.
- “Imagine If Doctors Relied on Google as Much as Programmers Do”
- Introduction to WebAssembly Components
- Programmable “link preview” thumbnails for your website’s pages
Quote of the week
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Alarmed by Tesla’s self-driving test, state legislators demand answers from DMV
- Intel seems awfully scared of Graviton2. Why pay for this ad on Google?
- uBlacklist: Blocks specific sites from appearing in Google search results
Blocks specific sites from appearing in Google search results – GitHub – iorate/uBlacklist: Blocks specific sites from appearing in Google search results
- Nike Acquires NFT Startup
The leading creators of virtual sneakers, collectibles and experiences, born in the metaverse, join the NIKE, Inc. family
- Find anything fast with Google’s vector search technology
How do YouTube, Google Search, and Google Play instantly find what you want in the vast sea of web content? Try the demo and find out. Hint: it’s vector search.
- Google Chrome Zero Day CVE-2021-4102, Use after free in V8
The Stable channel has been updated to 96.0.4664.110 for Windows, Mac and Linux which will roll out over the coming days/weeks. Extended sta…
- James Dyson answers design questions from Twitter
- Google says employees flouting vaccination rules will eventually be fired
- Google is building a new augmented reality device and operating system
- The future of artificial intelligence is self-organizing and self-assembling
- Reddit files to go public
Reddit Inc, whose message boards became the go-to destination for day traders during this year’s meme stock frenzy, said on Wednesday it had confidentially filed for an initial public offering with U.S. securities regulators.
- Hugging Face Acquires Gradio
- Stixify – Turn unstructured data into structured threat intelligence
- Amazon still isn’t doing enough to stop bait-and-switch reviews
- Google Drive could soon start locking your files
- Netflix Executive Sentenced to 30 Months for 700K Bribes, Kickbacks from Vendors
- California’s AV testing rules apply to Tesla’s “FSD”
- Amazon Threatened Driver’s Job for Leaving Route During Tornado
- To opt out of Google Analytics you have to install a browser extension
- Six Amazon workers killed after tornadoes reduce warehouse near St. Louis
Six Amazon.com Inc workers were confirmed dead on Saturday after a series of tornadoes roared through a warehouse near St. Louis, ripping off its roof and causing 11-inch thick concrete walls longer than football fields to collapse on themselves.
- The state of Washington pays multimillion dollar salaries to college coaches
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Twitter Account Gets Hacked
A tweet was sent from PM Modi’s account with a URL falsely stating that India had officially adopted Bitcoin as the legal tender.
- I will pay $2000 to the person that connects me with a romantic partner
- Report shows HSE (Irish Health Service) hacked by malicious Excel file
- AlterClass – A platform for making and selling programming courses
- Chemical emitted by babies could make men more docile, women more aggressive
- Former BuzzFeed Employees Missed Their Big Payday
When the company went public this past week, ex-staffers learned something alarming: they were unable to sell the stock that they had waited years to trade.
- Drgn: How the Linux kernel team at Facebook debugs the kernel at scale
Facebook For Developers
- How Much Does Education Improve Intelligence? A Meta-Analysis
- JuNest – The lightweight Arch based distro that runs upon any Linux distribution
- Toyota owners have to pay $8/mo to keep using their key fob for remote start
- User racked up $45,000 in AWS charges due to a cryptominer hacking their account
- Please rename aux.py
- I made a free course, ‘NLP for Semantic Search’
Natural Language Processing (NLP) for Semantic Search.
- Linux Touchpad Like MacBook Update: Touchpad Gestures Now Shipping
- Saule Omarova says banks sank her chance to become a key regulator
- Asahi Linux for M1 Macs Progress October-November 2021
Porting Linux to Apple Silicon
- Tuxedo Stellaris: A Powerful Linux Laptop
- To reduce student suicides by hanging to fans, institute in India removes fans
- India defuses its population bomb: Fertility falls to two children per woman
- Expired web domains help criminal hackers unlock enterprise defenses
- How I learned to stop worrying and push to master
- Worker pay isn’t keeping up with inflation
Real earnings turned sharply negative the last two months after eeking out gains over the summer.
- Apple Helps Asahi Linux
- JPMorgan Admits to Widespread Recordkeeping Failures, Agrees to Pay $125M
- CCPA Scam – human subject research study conducted by Princeton University
Get ready for the CCPA compliance scams from Princeton.
- Udemy course enroller: Get paid udemy courses for free