Gooooooood morning, Persons!!! Hey, this is not a test, this is a tech roundup. Time to rock it from the Delta to the DMZ.
AI, bots and robots
- Factual AI Q&A – Answers based on Huberman Lab transcripts
- The human cost of neurotechnology failure
When the makers of electronic implants abandon their projects, people who rely on the devices have everything to lose.
- AI breakthrough ChatGPT raises alarm over student cheating
- Enhance Speech from Adobe – Free AI filter for cleaning up spoken audio
- A Killed by Google RIP-off focusing on things AI is threatening
Thinking about a career change? Look no further! Our list of professions, apps, and human activities that are ripe for replacement by artificial intelligence will have you feeling confident about your future job security. Come see the full list and find out if your job is at risk. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.
- A swarm of robots built this tunnel
- Hotels turn to robots and room cleanings to ease staffing shortages
- Cats, Pi, and Machine Learning
- Do Simpler Machine Learning Models Exist and How Can We Find Them?
- Bunny AI
Every now and then, a new piece of technology creates a radical shift throughout the world in how people interact with computers. One such shift is currently underway as we speak. It is the rise of AI. Recent breakthroughs have been incredibly exciting to observe. One of the recent innovations
- Neural Search Frameworks: A Head-to-Head Comparison
Blockchain and decentralization
- I made an Ethernet transceiver from logic gates
Building a 10BASE-T Ethernet transceiver (receiver and transmitter) with discrete logic chips
- Gary Gensler Got Cryptocurrency Right
- OneCoin co-founder pleads guilty to $4B fraud
- UnifiedPush: A decentralized, open-source push notification protocol
A modern Android smartphone relies on a lot of services, from app stores andcalendars to messaging and push notifications. Most of them have openalternatives…
Woman computer scientist of the week
Cloud and architecture
- Rarest clouds in the world appear over the SF Bay Area
- Beyond Repair – The potential downsides of right-to-repair laws
- Wing: A cloud-oriented programming language
Wing is a cloud-oriented programming language. Most programming languages think about computers as individual machines. In Wing, the cloud is the computer.
- Point-E: Point cloud diffusion for 3D model synthesis
Point cloud diffusion for 3D model synthesis. Contribute to openai/point-e development by creating an account on GitHub.
- Stable Diffusion 2 Depth Guided model: architecture photos from dollhouse
- How to visualize a system architecture using the C4 model?
- Serverless Video Transcription inspired by Cyberpunk 2077
Contribute to elanmart/cbp-translate development by creating an account on GitHub.
- RssCloud, WordPress. FeedLand, and Dave Winer
- AWS releases Finch: An open source client for container development
- Cannabis is legal in most America but federal laws block businesses from banks
Development and languages
- Why doesn’t Windows use 64-bit virtual address space below 0x00000000`7ffe0000?
- Programming with Unicon
- Windows 11 update added ‘Search’ label to taskbar search button – how to remove?
Just installed the latest update for Windows 11 version 22H2 for x64 (KB5020622), and after restarting the Search button on my taskbar now has been given a label ‘Search’ which is unnecessary and
- Digitally sign PDF files from your commandline – open-pdf-sign
Digitally sign PDF files from your commandline. Contribute to open-pdf-sign/open-pdf-sign development by creating an account on GitHub.
- The Windows Subsystem for Android now runs Android 13 in beta
Today we are shipping an update for Windows Subsystem for Android™ on Windows 11 to members of the Windows Subsystem for Android™ Preview Program. This update (2211.40000.7.0) will update WSA to An…
- Boring Python: Code quality
- Tencent WeChat is now a GitHub secret scanning partner
- WordPress to support SQLite back end
A few months ago, a proposal was published to make WordPress officially support SQLite. After the proposal received a lot of positive feedback from the community, we started working on an implement…
- Signed distance functions in 46 lines of Python
- Gitlab Web IDE Beta, Powered by Visual Studio Code
Documentation for GitLab Community Edition, GitLab Enterprise Edition, Omnibus GitLab, and GitLab Runner.
- WebAssembly: Docker Without Containers
Hands-on exploration of using Docker to run WebAssembly applications.
- Programming as Play
I often want to program something just for fun without any expectations. But why? Well, a recent scientific paper investigated this idea of programming as play.
- The End of Programming
- Inform is a programming language for creating interactive fiction
- Python Malware Starting to Employ Anti-Debug Techniques
- WebAssembly for the Java Geek
When many Java developers hear the word WebAssembly, the first thing they think is “browser technology”. The second thing: “it’s the JVM all over again”. After all, for a Java developer, in-browser apps are prehistory.
- GitHub Statistics
The comprehensive Open Source Software insight tool by analyzing massive events from GitHub, powered by TiDB, the best insight building database of data agility.
- Turn Your Best Programmers into Managers
Quote of the week
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.
— Albert Einstein
- Reinventing backend subsetting at Google
- Twitter’s anti-Mastodon filter evasion
Content warning: Twitter’s anti-Mastodon filter evasion
- Paul Graham is leaving Twitter
- Twitter suspends pg’s account
- Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll
- Twitter archiver: Make your own simple, public, searchable Twitter archive
- Amazon Ring cameras used in nationwide ‘swatting’ spree, US Justice Dept. says
- Stable Diffusion on AMD RDNA3
- ChatGPT is a ‘code red’ for Google’s search business
A new wave of chat bots like ChatGPT use artificial intelligence that could reinvent or even replace the traditional internet search engine.
- All 1,400 Google Chrome CLI flags
- Netflix: 30% bitrate saving using Film Grain Synthesis
- France fines Microsoft €60M for imposing advertising cookies
- Tesla shares tank after U.S. discounts doubled on key models
- How Asus and a Microsoft Bug Almost Broke Remote Work
- California passes law banning Tesla from calling software FSD
California passed a new law banning Tesla from calling its software Full Self-Driving (FSD). Senate Bill 1398 was one of the hundreds
- Live Captions: an application that provides live captions for the Linux desktop
Linux Desktop application that provides live captioning – GitHub – abb128/LiveCaptions: Linux Desktop application that provides live captioning
- Alabama women, 85 and 61, sentenced after feeding stray cats
- Next, Nest, Nuxt Nust?
- GNU/Linux shell related internals
- A newspaper vanished from the internet. Did someone pay to kill it?
- IRS Accidentally Releases 112,000 Taxpayers’ Private Data Again
Confidential data of about 112,000 taxpayers inadvertently published by the IRS over the summer was mistakenly republished in late November and remained online until early December, the IRS disclosed Thursday.
- Riot Games says Sam Bankman-Fried’s love of League of Legends hurts the brand
- Epic Games to pay $520M to resolve FTC allegations
- Hacked Ring Cams Used to Record Swatting Victims
- Valve is paying open source developers to keep Steam Deck playable
- Upgrading my old Chumby 8 Linux kernel
- Elon Musk’s $44B education on free speech
- UK bank fined £49M over IT system meltdown
- Facial recognition tech gets woman booted from Rockettes show due to employer
- Deriving a bit-twiddling hack: Signed integer overflow
- Wells Fargo to pay $3.7B for mistreating customers
- Hacking Go’s runtime with generics
- A city experiments with paying people not to be annoying
- The recent Bank of Japan meeting and its implications for markets
- Gut microbiome affects motivation to exercise in mice: study
- Okta says its GitHub account hacked, source code stolen
- I trained ChatGPT on my childhood journal entries to talk to my inner child
- I failed 3 job applications, here’s what I learned
- Philadelphia Phreakers installing free payphone
When was the last time you used – or even saw – a pay phone? A handy Philadelphian is looking to change that.
- Whoops: Linux’s Strcmp() for the M68k Has Always Been Broken
- Caroline Ellison and Gary Wang are cooperating in the criminal case against SBF
- Quantifying the benefits of inefficient walking
- Not Getting Hacked
- Linux /proc/pid/stat parsing bugs
- Grad student unions strike controversial deal with University of California
- FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried to be released on $250M bail
- ByteDance confirmed it used TikTok to monitor journalists’ physical location
- Linux Kernel Ksmbd Use-After-Free Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- A book teaching assembly language programming on the ARM 64 bit ISA
A book teaching assembly language programming on the ARM 64 bit ISA. Along the way, good programming practices and insights into code development are offer which apply directly to higher level lang…
- TikTok admits tracking FT journalist in leaks investigation
- “I drove for Lyft for a week and learned its business model is broken”
- Bankman-Fried’s Shrinking ‘$250M Bond’
- Managing tape drives and libraries with the Unix/Linux CLI
- How Did Sam Bankman-Fried Get Bail?
Federal bail does not necessarily work the way you think it should.
- Private Equity Gave Your Bank Password to Hackers