Gooooooood morning, Cyberspace!!! Hey, this is not a test, this is a tech roundup. Time to rock it from the Delta to the DMZ.
AI, bots and robots
- AI detects eye disease in newborn babies
- Simplifying “Intriguing properties of neural networks”
- How to Stick to a Learning Habit
- Transformers Are Graph Neural Networks
Engineer friends often ask me: Graph Deep Learning sounds great, but are there any big commercial success stories? Is it being deployed in practical applications?
Besides the obvious ones–recommendation systems at Pinterest, Alibaba and Twitter–a slightly nuanced success story is the Transformer architecture, which has taken the NLP industry by storm.
Through this post, I want to establish links between Graph Neural Networks (GNNs) and Transformers. I’ll talk about the intuitions behind model architectures in the NLP and GNN communities, make connections using equations and figures, and discuss how we could work together to drive progre
- Building an AI to predict human age from a blood sample
- Zoom In: Speculative claims about neural circuits
- Twitter rewrites developer policy to better support research and ‘good’ bots
- AutoML-Zero: Evolving Machine Learning Algorithms from Scratch
Google Research. Contribute to google-research/google-research development by creating an account on GitHub.
- AWS Bottlerocket: An operating system designed for hosting containers
- Perineuronal nets influence learning and memory formation
- “First Cow,” Reviewed: Fatalistic Portrait of Early American Entrepreneurs
- Differential Equations with Transformers: Deep Learning for Symbolic Math
- A botnet is taken down in an operation by Microsoft, not the government
- Lagrangian Neural Networks
- Yes, I am still learning Rust
- Encourage children to use the net more 4 learning with Pihole 5beta
- AI can detect Corona virus from CT scans in just 20 seconds
Blockchain and decentralization
- Gerapy: Distributed Crawler Management Framework Based for Scrapy
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency prices have fallen sharply over the last few days
Woman computer scientist of the week
Cloud and architecture
- Firecracker: Secure and fast microVMs for serverless computing
- New AMD side channel attacks discovered, impacts Zen architecture
AMD processors from 2011 to 2019 impacted
- Strategies work only to the extent of their execution
- Data-Oriented Architecture
There’s a little-known pattern in software architecture that deserves more
attention. Data-Oriented Architecture was first described by Rajive Joshi in a
- Exploring the architecture of gentrification
- Mount cloud storage (S3, Backblaze) using SMB/NFS directly to your file system
- Ready for changes with Hexagonal Architecture
- Cloud AI Platform Pipelines
AI Platform Pipelines provides enterprise-ready infrastructure for deploying and running structured ML workflows, and pipeline tools for building, debugging, and sharing pipelines and components.
- AWS, Azure, and GCP respond to cloud report
Key learnings about how to get the best performance from GCP, AWS, and Azure based on original research and conversations with the big three.
- Court outlaws German Weather Service’s free weather app
WetterOnline has won its case against Germany’s national weather service. The company sued the service over the anti-competitive nature of its free weather forecast app.
- Elastic Cloud on Kubernetes (ECK) 1.0 is now generally available
Development and languages
- We have to talk about this Python, Gunicorn, Gevent thing
- The Case Against Microsoft and GitHub
- The De-Googled Android Fork Is Making Good Progress
Months ago, when I heard that the legendary JS1k game jam would not be continuing, I talked it over with some other devs and decided to help fill the void we would host a 2k game jam on itch called…
- Execute any comment from issues and pull requests on GitHub
Execute any script in a GitHub issue comment. Contribute to nwtgck/actions-comment-run development by creating an account on GitHub.
- Covidify – corona virus report generator (Python)
- Trial of programmer accused in CIA leak ends in hung jury
- The social side of science seen in the research on programming language quality
- Windows has a new wormable vulnerability, with no patch
- Gitlab’s Guide to All-Remote
Code, test & deploy with GitLab. Everyone can contribute!
- Twilio releases open source video conferencing apps for iOS, Android and web
Get a head start on your video app development with three new Twilio open sourced video collaboration applications for iOS, Android, and ReactJS for the Web.
- GitHub’s new notifications: a case of regressive design
- Facebook is evolving Erlang into a modern statically typed programming language
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – join us.
Quote of the week
Forgive him, for he believes that the customs of his tribe are the laws of nature!
— G.B. Shaw
- Google tracked his bike ride past a burglarized home. That made him a suspect
“I was using an app to see how many miles I rode my bike and now it was putting me at the scene of the crime,” the man said.
- Take a Way: Exploring the Security Implications of AMD’s Cache Way Predictors
- Undocumented CPU Behavior: Analyzing Undocumented Opcodes on Intel x86-64
- Google confirms Microformats are still a recommended metadata format for content
- Google confirms microformats are still a supported metadata format for content
- WatchGuard Technologies to Acquire Panda Security
- Intel is changing the future of power supplies with its ATX12VO spec
Intel’s new ATX12VO spec eliminates 3.3-volt and 5-volt rails and rejiggers the balance of power in future PCs.
- Surge of Virus Misinformation Stumps Facebook and Twitter
- Twitter, Elliott Strike Truce That Leaves CEO Dorsey in Place
Twitter and activist hedge fund Elliott Management agreed to shake up the social-media company’s board but leave CEO Jack Dorsey in place.
- “Just walk out” technology by Amazon
- The unexpected Google wide domain check bypass
- Tesla produces its 1,000,000th car
Tesla announced that it produced its 1 millionth electric car — becoming the first automaker to achieve the milestone. Only a few years ago, many people didn’t believe that Tesla could produce electric vehicles in any meaningful numbers, but the automaker managed to ramp up three electric vehicle programs: Model S, Model X, and Model …
- Amazon, Microsoft joins Italy’s initiative to offer free Wi-Fi, eBooks
- The Metronomic Cadence of Chippery from AMD
- New flaw in Intel chips lets attackers slip their own data into secure enclave
- Legal considerations when gathering threat intellegence from illict sources
- Google recommends all North America employees work from home
- Google’s Internal AGPL Policy
- Tesla’s success in Europe catches industry off guard
The Model 3 outsold some of the most popular luxury models in recent months. BMW, Mercedes and Audi risk missing the transition to electric cars.
- Amazon battles counterfeit masks, $400 hand sanitizer amid virus panic
- The search for extraterrestrial intelligence moves up a gear
- Google Open Source Code Search
- ‘Unfixable’ security flaw in Intel boot ROM
- Signs you’re following a fake Twitter account
- Microsoft plots the end of Visual Basic
Microsoft said this week that it will support Visual Basic on .NET 5.0 but will no longer add new features or evolve the language.
- Bill Gates has stepped down from Microsoft’s board
- Reducing Asset Size with Subsetting
- Hackers Can Clone Millions of Toyota, Hyundai, and Kia Keys
Encryption flaws in a common anti-theft feature expose vehicles from major manufacturers.
- Software optimization resources. C++ and assembly. Windows, Linux, BSD, macOS
- Xv6, a simple Unix-like teaching operating system
- Proposal for a way to reduce coronavirus infections by optimizing whom to test
- The Great Buenos Aires Bank Heist
- The Nature of Women’s Rape Fantasies: An Analysis
- Why Online Education Works
- Paul Klee’s Personal Notebooks on His Bauhaus Teachings
- California will pay people unable to work because of Covid-19, and their carers
- The Robber Bank: Can America Ever Rid Itself of Wells Fargo?
- Hacking an Audi: performing a man-in-the-middle attack on FlexRay
- Sequoia gives away $21M investment in Finix as it walks away from deal
- Open-sourcing Riskquant, a library for quantifying risk
- How we test at Nubank
- Payments on mortgages to be suspended across Italy after coronavirus outbreak
Payments on mortgages will be suspended across the whole of Italy after the coro…
- AWS Bottlerocket: Linux-based operating system purpose-built to run containers
- What we can learn from the 1918 flu pandemic
- Porting Windows Dynamic Link Libraries to Linux
Porting Windows Dynamic Link Libraries to Linux. Contribute to taviso/loadlibrary development by creating an account on GitHub.
- Chance discovery brings quantum computing with standard microchips a step closer
- “Essentials of Interpretation” full course is now available
- Kubuntu Linux 19.10 for a digital painting workstation
- Ekstrand: Plumbing explicit synchronization through the Linux ecosystem
- A Look Back at Manufacturing Linux Hardware
- ETH Suspends Classroom Teaching
- High Temperature and High Humidity Reduce the Transmission of Covid-19
- Linux Kernel Teaching
- NetHack 3.6.6
- Coronavirus: Some recovered patients may have reduced lung function