Gooooooood morning, Persons!!! Hey, this is not a test, this is a tech roundup. Time to rock it from the Delta to the DMZ.
AI, bots and robots
- Microsoft cutting MSN news production workers and replacing them with AI
- Analysis of 200M tweets discussing coronavirus suggests 45%-60% come from bots
- Winget Install Learning
- Semantic image synthesis and learning a generative model from a single image
- Shodan Dojo – Learning Shodan through katas
- Walmart employees are out to show its anti-shoplifting AI doesn’t work
- Zyro – AI Powered Website Builder
- Avoiding the Global Lobotomy
Is this you: You feel like you have a 2” thick shell of gunk surrounding your entire body which inhibits your ability to truly contact reality? You’ve had a light-brain-fog for basically as long as…
Blockchain and decentralization
- Go Micro – A distributed systems development framework
A distributed systems development framework
- Acme – A framework for distributed reinforcement learning
- Bitcoin Mining’s Three Body Problem
- Breaking the Solidity compiler with a fuzzer
Woman computer scientist of the week
Cloud and architecture
- Liquid Cities: Japanese architecture and science fiction
- Police act like laws don’t apply to them because of Qualified Immunity
- Russia’s Elbrus 8CB Microarchitecture: 8-Core VLIW on TSMC 28nm
- Ballparq – a small PaaS for Godot games
- Free software porting on the Elbrus architecture
- Lawsuit over online book lending could bankrupt Internet Archive
Publishers call online library “willful digital piracy on an industrial scale.”
- AWS SDKs include endpoints for secret region partitions
- Julialang Antipatterns
- Vote by Mail: Ballot Fraud Risk, State Laws and Trump’s Claims
- Trump to Sign Executive Order Waiving Key Environmental Laws
- Why Snaps are an anti-pattern on Ubuntu
Development and languages
- Google postpones Android 11 unveiling amid U.S. protests
Alphabet Inc’s Google on Saturday said it has postponed next week’s planned unveiling of the beta version of its latest Android 11 mobile operating system in light of protests and unrest in the United States.
- Programming is boring art
- `fzf` * `Git` done right
- Cracking WordPress passwords with 20 lines of Go
Understanding WordPress password hashing system, then breaking it.
- Finding secrets by decompiling Python bytecode in public repositories
- MindSpore WebAssembly Backend
- Xfce switches to GitLab
- Janus WebRTC Server
- The 5.7 kernel is out
- Microsoft copied new Windows Package Manager from rival AppGet, claims developer
- Perspective: Streaming Analytics via WebAssembly
- Overview of Python Dependency Management
Totally confused by all the tools for managing dependencies? Pip, venv, Docker, conda, virtualenvwrapper, pipenv, … Which one should you use? Why do we even have all these different tools? Can they work together?
- Guide to Python Debugging
Welcome to my personal website and blog, here you can find some information about me, contact, social media links as well as
my blog posts
- Sharedrop – Easy P2P file transfer powered by WebRTC
- A Git Repo to Document Police Brutality During the 2020 George Floyd Protests
Repository containing evidence of police brutality during the 2020 George Floyd protests – 2020PB/police-brutality
- GitHub Classroom
GitHub Classroom automates repository creation and access control, making it easy for teachers to distribute starter code and collect assignments on GitHub.
- Is a trillion-dollars worth of programming lying on the ground?
- A photo is crashing some Android phones
An atmospheric landscape photograph set as wallpaper seems to confuse the handsets.
- Ex-Enron CEO Skilling launching new digital marketplace for oil investors
- Altair – A declarative statistical visualization library for Python
- Recognizing non-programming open source contributors
- J for C Programmers
- Google Domains blocking all Gitbook URLS: post-mortem
- Google Domains blocking all Gitbook URLS: post-mortem
- Germany bans digital doppelganger passport photos
- Hands-On Scala Programming
- Peer-to-Peer Communications with WebRTC
In this article, we’ll take a look at how peer-to-peer connections are created and managed using WebRTC and its RTCPeerConnection interface.
- Python+FontForge+Org: I made a font based on my handwriting
- Using Enumerated Types in Python
Quote of the week
Unformed people delight in the gaudy and in novelty. Cooked people delight in the ordinary.
— Erik Naggum
- Stripe’s remote engineering hub, one year in
Since May 2019, Stripe has operated a fully remote engineering hub. Today, our remote culture is the backbone of a new working model for the whole company.
- Google Gave Away Our Business Listing to a Competitor, Our Fight to Get It Back
- Twitter, Reddit File Challenge of U.S. Social Media Registration Requirement
- Microsoft credits maker of package manager it ‘copied’, but offers no apology
Developer of AppGet was fine with Microsoft copying his project for WinGet, but annoyed it didn’t bother crediting him.
- We ditched Google Analytics
- Tesla Model 3 Drives into Overturned Truck in Apparent Autopilot Failure
- Google Is Not God of the Web
Gurgle Crum Tile Almost exactly two years ago, I warned that Google was on track to replace God of us all. Last month, The Verge's D…
- White nationalist group posing as antifa called for violence on Twitter
- Microsoft finally gives AppGet developer the credit he deserves
- Is Google censoring ‘Falun Gong’ voice typing?
- NSTM: Real-Time Query-Driven News Overview Composition at Bloomberg
- Microsoft Defender SmartScreen is hurting independent developers
- Fyifv: A Microsoft Urban Legend
- Twitter account reposting everything Trump tweets, suspended within 3 days
- Google Sued for Secretly Amassing Vast Trove of User Data
- Analytics Without Google
- Amazon is sued over warehouses after New York worker brings coronavirus home
- GM plans electric van for business users in bid to pre-empt Tesla
- Google2Csv is a simple Google scraper that saves the results on a CSV file
- Amazon refuses to sell book on Covid-19 and lockdowns
- U.S. states lean toward breaking up Google’s ad tech business
The U.S. state attorneys general investigating Alphabet Inc’s Google for potential antitrust violations are leaning toward pushing for a breakup of its ad technology business as part of an expected suit, CNBC reported on Friday, citing sources.
- Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Design for Great Power Competition
- Twitter removes Trump campaign tribute to Floyd claiming copyright complaint
- Operation of a silicon quantum processor unit cell above one kelvin
- Did the Italians Teach the French the Art of the Vinaigrette?
- Dragon capsule runs on Linux, C++, Chromium UIs
- Major Linux Problems on the Desktop, 2020 edition
- Anonymous returns: Hacker group targets police and Trump administration
- MPWTest: Reducing Test Friction by Going Beyond the XUnit Model
- Do I Need to Go to University?
Instead of asking “Is university good?”, ask “Do I have something more compelling to do?”. Instead of “Should I do a PhD?”, ask “Where can I find the best environment to grow as a researcher?”.
- Linux 5.7
- How to Become a Hacker
- Analysing the alleged Minneapolis police department “hack”
- Anonymous hackers re-emerge amid US unrest
- NSA Exposes Tool Used by Russian Hackers
- Snakeware – Linux distro with Python userspace inspired by Commodore 64
A free Linux distro with a Python-based userspace. Contribute to joshiemoore/snakeware development by creating an account on GitHub.
- Stockton Extends Its Monthly $500 UBI Payment Experiment
A pioneering universal basic income pilot in the low-income California city was scheduled to expire soon. But the coronavirus crisis made the case to extend it.
- Police attacks against journalists across the U.S. since May 28
- Lenovo to Certify ThinkPad and ThinkStation Workstation Portfolio for Linux
- Hacking the Planet With Notcurses: A Guide to TUIs and Character Graphics
- A mysterious company’s Covid-19 papers in top medical journals may be unraveling
Scientists and journals express concern over influential studies of COVID-19 patient data that evaluated possible treatments such as hydroxychloroquine
- Things from leaked audio of Mark Zuckerberg and his employees
- Regulators may punish Deutsche Bank for its Jeffrey Epstein ties
- German city wants to ditch Microsoft for Linux
This German city wants to replace Microsoft with Linux and other open-source alternatives
- Millions of Americans Skipping Payments as Wave of Defaults and Evictions Looms
- Linus rejects ‘beyond stupid’ AWS-made Linux patch
- Nand2Tetris Hack assembler implemented in Rust
- SoftBank launches $100m minorities startup fund
SoftBank Group Corp is launching a $100 million fund to invest in “companies led by founders and entrepreneurs of colour”, in the latest corporate action as protests roil the United States.
- Learn coding to become a software engineer
- What Apple Learned from Automation: Humans Are Better
- BlackRock Is Bailing Out Its ETFs with Fed Money and Taxpayers Eating Losses
- More than half of American retailers didn’t pay their rent in April and May
- Linux Mint Dumps Ubuntu Snap
- From Miss Universe to Indie Hacker with Isis Casalduc
- Switzerland’s lockdown has sharply reduced the cases of Covid-19