Gooooooood morning, Web!!! Hey, this is not a test, this is a tech roundup. Time to rock it from the Delta to the DMZ.
AI, bots and robots
- Meta-Learning in 50 Lines of JAX
- Caret Package – A Practical Guide to Machine Learning in R
- Best of Arxiv.org for AI, Machine Learning, and Deep Learning – January 2019
- Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control
- AITopics, news and research about AI
- Capsule Networks – a way to more closely mimic biological neural organization
- Intuit (TurboTax) Notice of Unauthorized Access to Tax Returns
- Myths in Machine Learning Research
- Machine learning can boost the value of wind energy
- Dry.io wants to democratize software development using AI
- Topological methods for unsupervised learning problems
- Will A.I. Ever Be Smarter Than a Four-Year-Old?
Looking at how children process information may give programmers useful hints about directions for computer learning
- Long-Range Robotic Navigation via Automated Reinforcement Learning
- License Plate Detection Without Machine Learning
- Finnish is too complicated for AI
- Deep Learning from Scratch to GPU: CUDA and OpenCL
- Deep Learning to Federated Learning in 10 Lines of PyTorch and PySyft
- Fact-checking chatbot “Meiyu” shuts down dubious family texts
Biting your tongue at yet another questionable article shared in your message group of friends and family? Add artificial-intelligence fact-checker Meiyu as a member, she will jump in with ‘False’ and explain why it’s wrong; quieter mothers-in-law.
- Best Deep Learning Books: Updated for 2019
The list of the best machine learning & deep learning books for 2019.
Blockchain and decentralization
- Dynamics at the Boundary of Game Theory and Distributed Computing
- Bitcoins Returned to Bitfinex by U.S. Government
- Announcing k3s: The Lightweight Kubernetes Distribution Built for the Edge
- Alleged Coinomi $60K exploit shows how easy it is to have your Bitcoin stolen
A report by security consultant Warith Al Maawali claims he lost $60,000 to $70,000 while using the Coinomi wallet because of a spell checker vulnerability.
- CovenantForum – A decentralized forum powered by CovenantSQL
- Accepting Bitcoin as a Small Business – 4 Years In, No Customers
We reflect on four years of accepting Bitcoin and Dash as small Locksmith business based in Shoreham-by-Sea, U.K.
Woman computer scientist of the week
Cloud and architecture
- AWS API Performance Comparison: Serverless vs. Containers
- A New Golden Age for Computer Architecture
Innovations like domain-specific hardware, enhanced security, open instruction sets, and agile chip development will lead the way.
- Is a shared database in microservices actually an anti-pattern?
- New flaws in 4G, 5G allow attackers to intercept calls and track phone locations
A group of academics have found three new security flaws in 4G and 5G, which they say can be used to intercept phone calls and track the locations of cell phone users. The findings are said to be the first time vulnerabilities have affected both 4G and the incoming 5G standard, which promises fasteâ¦
- FastMail loses customers, faces calls to move over anti-encryption laws
- U.S. Cloud Act is raising concern about extraterritoriality
- Cloudflare’s RPKI Toolkit
- Serverless Page Builder
- Famous Laws of Software Development
Like any other field, the world of Software Development has some interesting and famous rules, principles and laws.
- As AWS Use Soars, Companies Surprised by Cloud Bills
- A World Without Clouds: Cloud Loss Could Add 8 Degrees to Global Warming
- ‘Extinct’ Formosan clouded leopard spotted in Taiwan
- Cloudflare expands its government warrant canaries
When the government comes for your data, tech companies can’t always tell you. But thanks to a legal loophole, companies can say if they haven’t had a visit yet. That’s opened up an interesting clause that allows companies to silently warn customers when the government turns up toâ¦
- Supermicro hardware weaknesses let researchers backdoor an IBM cloud server
- Cheap Kubernetes Cluster on AWS with Kubeadm
Really cheap Kubernetes cluster on AWS with kubeadm – cablespaghetti/kubeadm-aws
- The Affinity Between Events, Streams and Serverless
- Beyond Local Pattern Matching: Recent Advances in Machine Reading
- Paper – Hyperscan: A Fast Multi-Pattern Regex Matcher for Modern CPUs
I’m pleased to report that Hyperscan, the regular expression matcher that ate my life from 2008 through 2018,Â finally has a paperÂ (pdf) – it’s being presented this week at NSDI &#â¦
- Apple moves to store iCloud keys in China, raising human rights fears
When Apple Inc begins hosting Chinese users’ iCloud accounts in a new Chine…
- OpenSSL 3 Strategic Architecture
- AutoML toolkit for neural architecture search and hyper-parameter tuning
An open source AutoML toolkit for neural architecture search and hyper-parameter tuning. – Microsoft/nni
- Microsoft Azure Sentinel
- PGHoard – PostgreSQL backup and restore service for cloud object storages
PostgreSQL backup and restore service. Contribute to aiven/pghoard development by creating an account on GitHub.
Development and languages
- Python: Even a Feature That You Do Not Use Can Bite You
- YouPorn goes PWA progressive with new mobile web apps for Android and iOS
- Containers as Kernel Objects – Again
- Remembering a Programming Language That Helped Shape the Digital New York Times
- Git 2.21 Highlights
- The CPython Bytecode Compiler Is Dumb
- Beautiful Python List Prompts Package
ð Beautiful Python prompts made simple. Build a prompt like stacking blocks. – Mckinsey666/bullet
- Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Economics
- Visual Studio Code for Chromebooks and Raspberry Pi
- Visual Studio Code for Chromebooks and Raspberry Pi
- Follow GitHub Organisations
- Multiprocessing.shared_memory – Shared memory for direct access across processes
- Windows 10: New study shows Home edition users are baffled by updates
- Productivity tricks in Visual Studio
- Euboea – simple, fast, AOT-compiled programming language
- Programming Books You Wish You Read Earlier
- Browsing a Remote Git Repository
- Redesigning GitHub Repository Page
Better design for Github repository page
- Hy: A Dialect of Clojure Embedded in Python
- Limiting Your Digital Footprints in a Surveillance State
- Does windows 10s telemetry include sending *.docs if word crashed
- Micropython and LittlevGL: high-level GUI library for micropython
- Burning Digital Books and the Fight over Online Ideology
- A DIFFERENT GitHub redesign proposal
- Git Best Practices
- Tips and Tricks for Asp.net Core Applications
Quote of the week
Security is a state of mind.
— NSA Security Manual
- Microsoft Staff: Do Not Use HoloLens for War
More than 50 employees at Microsoft have demanded the firm end its deal to provide augmented reality to the US army.
- Microsoft Workers Protest Army Contract with Tech ‘Designed to Help People Kill’
- New OpenGL Driver for Intel Gen8 GPUs Merged into Mesa
- Open Letter from New York State Budget Director Robert Mujica Regarding Amazon
An open letter from New York State Budget Director Robert Mujica regarding Amazon.
- Google Maps: Bird Mode
- Twitter Thread Compiler Apps and Copyright Ethics
Twitter threads are a pain to read! So let’s just steal them, right? Umm… Nope, probably wrong. I’m going to say very wrong. Think about it.
- Google: Software is never going to be able to fix Spectre-type bugs
- Amazon cargo plane crashes in Texas
A large cargo plane crashed Saturday in Texas, killing all three people on board, officials said.
- Microsoft’s HoloLens 2: a $3,500 mixed-reality headset for the factory
Designed to get work done.
- Site Search Could Kill Amazon
- Microsoft CEO defends US military contract that employees say crosses a line
- Humans Who Are Not Concentrating Are Not General Intelligences
Recently, OpenAI came out with a new language model that automatically synthesizes text, called GPT-2. It’s disturbingly good.Â You can see some examples (cherry-picked, by their own admissioâ¦
- Bypassing ad blockers for Google Analytics
- Notes on the Amazon Aurora Paper
This is my notes on the paper: Amazon Aurora: Design Considerations for High Throughput Cloud-Native Relational Databases. What’s Amazon Aurora Functionally speaking, an instance of Aurora is same as an instance of MySQL. The differences are Aurora decouples compute from storage and it’s fault-tolerant. It supports all ANSI isolation levels
- Bloomberg: Spain is now the healthiest country in the world
Spain Tops Italy as World’s Healthiest Nation While U.S. Slips
- Intel ends 5G modem alliance with Beijing-backed chipmaker
Unisoc loses tech partnership in new blow to China’s chip ambitions
- Amazon Personalize: Real-Time recommendation, based on tech used at Amazon.com
Amazon Personalize is a machine learning service that makes it easy for developers to create individualized recommendations for customers using their applications.
- Nadella: Microsoft will sell war tech to democracies to “protect freedoms”
- Julia on Google TPU: Shakespeare RNN
- Reconstructing Twitter’s Firehose
Reconstructing Twitter’s Firehose How to reconstruct over 99% of Twitter’s firehose for any time period Author: Jason Michael Baumgartner (Owner of Pushshift.io) E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @jasonbaumgartne Since there has been a lot of interest in detailing the methodology on how to d…
- All Medium paywalled stories now free, unmetered when you’re coming from Twitter
- Tesla: Great things are launching at 2pm
- Tesla – Great things are launching at 2pm
- $35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now
We are incredibly excited to announce that the standard Model 3, with 220 miles of range, a top speed of 130 mph and 0-60 mph acceleration of 5.6 seconds is now available at $35,000! Although lower in cost, it is built to achieve the same perfect
- Tesla will close most of its stores and only sell cars online
- When Does Intelligence Peak?
- Amazon Web Services CEO: We’re a $30b revenue business in the ‘early stages’
- Amazon Translate
In last two articles about Amazon I showed how to use Amazon Comprehend to make computer understand your text. Amazon can do even more: it can translate texts between languages. Amazon Translate API is very similar to Amazon Comprehend API, so letâs start!
- Amazon to open grocery chain separate from Whole Foods
- NY Gov Speaks with Bezos, Hints of ‘Other Ways’ to Clear Path for Amazon Return
The governor of New York has called Mr. Bezos and other Amazon executives to persuade them to resurrect their plan to build a campus in Long Island City.
- Amazon’s Project Zero will let brands remove fake product listings
- Amazon Removed Anti-Vax Documentaries from Prime Video
Anti-vax documentaries have disappeared from search results on the platform, and appear to no longer be available to Prime members for free streaming.
- He Was Part of a Twitter Mob That Attacked YA Novelists. Then It Turned on Him
- My first website a simple Recurring Payments
- Linux Fsync Issue for Buffered IO and Its Preliminary Fix for PostgreSQL
In case you didn’t already see this news, PostgreSQL has got its first minor version released for 2019. This includes minor version updates for all supported PostgreSQL versions. We have indiâ¦
- Aptana.org Hacked?
- Journalist, 12, faces off with police officer who threatened to arrest her
- Linux kernel: Add io_uring IO interface
- Azlo – Fee-free small business banking
- Linux Desktop Setup
- Hack Club Bank – A Bank for Student Hackers
- Arcade Rats on the Moon
- Political Bias Is Destroying Peoples Faith in Journalism
- 40% of Smart Homes at Risk to Hackers
- Thousands of Women Say LuLaRoe’s Legging Empire Is a Scam
- Congratulations Women, Judge Rules the US Military Should Draft You Too
- Expensive Chat – Pay one cent per letter
Pay one cent per letter
- Quilc: An optimizing quantum compiler written in Common Lisp
- Bell cuts phone service to family struggling to pay surprise $1,800 bill
- Learn anything every new tab
- Millions of Binaries Later: A Look into Linux Hardening in the Wild
- Middle School Misfortunes Then and Now, One Teacher’s Take
- A Woman Who Harvested a Two-Acre Wheat Field Off Wall Street
Agnes Denes, the queen of Land Art, made one of New Yorkâs greatest public art projects ever in 1982. Now, the world might be catching up with her.
- Truffle: Finds business deductions in your personal spending history
- Would You Pay $32,709 for a Lab-Grown Diamond?